Fraudulent Phone Calls
Credit card and Debit card holders across the country are beginning to see a rise in a particular type of fraud known as “spoofing.” Spoofing involves phone calls and text messages that appear to be from Kings Federal or our fraud department numbers used to verify suspicious transactions. The purpose of the spoofing call is to trick you into providing personal information, such as your complete card number, your PIN code, security codes, 3 digit number on the back of your card, online access codes, passwords and full Social Security numbers.
Kings Federal Credit Union does have systems that help detect unauthorized activity on credit and debit cards and those systems do make phone calls and send texts. However, they will not ask for any of information listed above.
We have had multiple reports of such potential scams from members and non-members with calls and texts seeming to come from the numbers below, which if saved in your phone, may only come up in your caller ID as “Kings FCU”.
(559) 582-4438 and (800) 472-3272
Please remember that if you suspect the identity of the caller or text for any reason, a good rule of thumb is to hang up and call us directly at 559-582-4438 or email us at email@example.com. Don’t use the call-back number on the phone because that may go back to the fraudster.
Protect yourself and remember these helpful hints:
- We will not ask for personal information when we are calling you.
- We’ll never take an action (like logging into your account online for you) for the sole purpose to generate a secure-access code and ask you to read that back us to authenticate you.
- Never verbally provide to anyone secure access codes you generate when logging into your account from a new device.
- If you’re unsure a call or text is legitimate, hang up and call us directly.